“It’s hard to lead a cavalry charge if you think you look funny on a horse” – this and five other inspirational quotes to lift your spirit
Here are six inspirational leadership quotes to end your week with the right mood:
1. “Action expresses priorities.” – Mahatma Gandhi
This list could easily be filled with six Gandhi quotes, but this one in particular can help you be a productive leader in 2015. Too often we talk about what we want to get done instead of achieving it. All the best leaders lead by example. Show your own priorities through your actions this year.
2. “If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.” – President John Quincy Adams
The sixth President of the United States and the son of the second certainly had the pedigree to discuss leadership. For someone who thought it was beneath him to campaign for the office of presidency, he was able to rise to the top because his determination and strong-willed actions were what moved men to follow him. Certainly a lesson for inspirational leadership for the New Year.
3. “To command is to serve, nothing more and nothing less.” — Andre Malraux
As the New Year rolls along, it is important to remember that real leadership is a service. No title or honor gives you lasting and true authority. Instead, it is the culmination of your disposition and actions that truly inspire others to follow.
4. “It’s hard to lead a cavalry charge if you think you look funny on a horse.” — Adlai E. Stevenson II
You may not be planning on leading a cavalry charge in 2015, but the advice of the former U.S. Presidential Candidate and governor of Illinois is still sound. Whatever your goals for the year are, be sure you attack them with confidence. By doing so, you will inspire others around you.
5. “Power isn’t control at all – power is strength, and giving that strength to others. A leader isn’t someone who forces others to make him stronger; a leader is someone willing to give his strength to others that they may have the strength to stand on their own.” — Beth Revis
Remember that leading is not about you. Leading is about others. Author Beth Revis eloquently sheds the truth about the oft-overlooked notion of leadership. Control is not leadership. It is like the dog that, when unleashed, will not return. Making the dog want to return is the mark of leadership. Make your followers this year stronger, and for that, they will look to you as their leader.
6. “Done is better than perfect.” — Sheryl Sandberg
Sandberg, a two-time Harvard grad formerly employed by Google and currently employed by Facebook sitting on about one billion dollars of vesting stock options, is someone who knows entrepreneurial business. The simplicity of her advice and message is one that you need to take into the New Year. Her emphasis on action is what many entrepreneurs lack, especially in the beginning. Over analysis is a form of paralysis in the business world. Perfect takes too long and once you are no longer in the lead, you are merely trying to catch up. Follow Sandberg, lead by getting things done in 2015.
This post was originally published on Fiverr‘s blog.
Featured Image Credit: SandbergWEFAM2012 / Wikimedia Commons